Following the 2018 World Junior Championship match against the USA, under 20 Russian national team head coach Valery Bragin shared his feelings.
Russia U20 head coach Valery Bragin:
- What was the team lacking in the final stages?
- Goals. We had chances, but when the score was level, the opponents scored next. We warned the players that the Americans would begin the match aggressively. In the first period, they had an advantage. However, we were better in the second. Later on in the third period, the game depended on the next goal.
- In the third period, the players seemed to give everything.
- This is why we work. At the crucial moment, the guys should be able to give 100%. In these games, you have to score at least one of four chances, especially when they are clear scoring opportunities.
- You didn't have a large circle of players to choose from.
- Klim Kostin and Andrei Svechnikov are younger than the rest, but they performed better than a lot of the other guys. I hope that everyone will continue developing in the future. Today, the guys gave everything.
- Why did you decide to make Vladislav Sukhachyov the starting goaltender?
- Our goalkeeping coach made his decision based on training sessions. Vladislav has more experience at the moment.
- Which players were you lacking at this tournament?
- It's a shame that Maxim Rasseykin and Grigory Dronov received injuries. The group stage is always preparation for the knockout games, the players were in good physical shape. Emotions from the tournament? It's a great shame, but it's ice hockey.
Russian Ice Hockey Federation